Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Through the Eyes of Babes

I know, that's not the exact saying, but its appropriate in this case. My son's first creative writing project is due tomorrow for his new school. He had to write a few paragraphs on what he did this summer. You remember that assignment, don't you? Here's the text from his story, aptly titled "My Summer":

"I spent most of my summer with my best friend Brody because my sister Rory was in the hospital. Brody and I did many fun things together. Some of the things we did were, went to the beach, we also visited the aquarium and zoo. My favorite thing we did together was go to Seaworld.

Sea world was so much fun! We saw a dolphin show, a clown show and the Shamu show. There were tide pools and I got to touch a starfish and feel the gross sticky skin of a sea cucumber. My favorite thing we did was to ride on Atlantis. The ride was awesome because it was scary and thats what made it fun. When it was time to leave, we got to see fireworks that the park does before they close. I had a great summer and the best part was when my sister came home from the hospital."

The second half of the project was to create diorama, collage, mobile, or some other means of illustrating the story. When Reese suggested that he wanted to do a mobile like those that Rory is so fond of, Dad joked we could even motorize it. Apparently at 9 years old, kids still think their parents can do anything. I guess I'm not ready to let go of that perception just yet, so check out the video to see how it turned out.
Video quality isn't so great, but those are pictures of all the fun things he did hanging off the mobile. And at the top are fireworks. It was a family collaboration to be sure.

1 comment:

  1. That project is fantastic Eric! Tell Reese that Gannie is very impressed with his and your work on it. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete